Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Green Mango Salad

Without the Coconut


This is one of my favorite dishes to eat and to make because it is so versatile. I have had many requests for the recipie, so I give you my version of Thai Green Mango Salad. I hope you will like it as much as I do!!


Green Mango Salad

This is a very versatile salad. For my friends in Canada who only seem to get green mangoes, it is a good use for them before they rot,  as they never seem to actually ripen.
I have also made this with almost ripe mangoes and it makes for a slightly sweeter salad. A great contract to a spicy meat side dish. You can make it as hot (spicy) or mild as you like.

Salad
3 firm unripe mangoes
1/4 cup of shredded coconut
1/3 cup coriander (optional)
4 Spring (green) onions
Handful of roasted unsalted peanuts or cashew nuts
1/3 cup fresh basil
1-3 fresh cut red chilli peppers (remove seeds unless you really like it hot)

Dressing
3 Tablespoons of Fish Sauce or Soy Sauce
4 Tablespoons lime juice (also called lemon juice in Asia)
2 Tablespoons (or more to taste) of brown sugar
1-2 Tablespoons of Thai chilli sauce


Dry fry the coconut in a frying pan, over medium heat until it is toasted light brown. Set aside. If you have raw peanuts or cashew nuts, you should now dry fry them as well, over low heat and set aside.

Mix the dressing ingredients in a bowl, or I use an empty glass jar with a lid and shake it vigorously to blend everything/ You can taste it and adjust to your liking, but adding more of any of the ingredients you feel it needs. (i.e. more sugar to sweeten, more lime to sour it)

Skin the mangoes with a sharp knife. With a coarse grated shred the mango like you would cabbage for cole slaw. I do not have a grater, and tend to slice very thin strips to the pit lengthwise, then cross cut and then cut in two slices from the outside flesh to the pit, making an almost julienne cut.

Add the onion, coriander, chilli peppers and basil, and toss with the dressing.

You can plate up the salad and then top with a mix of the nuts and coconut, or if presenting as a bowled dish, sprinkle the top of the salad with the nuts and coconut.

I tend to grill some garlic/pepper chicken and chop it up and mix in the salad.

I have also added items such as bean sprouts or sliced red pepper for some variation. Like I said it is a very versatile dish, and great on a hot day when you want something cool to eat that has a kick!

No comments:

Post a Comment